1928/29 Pictorial DJs

j b krygier jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu
Fri Jun 8 13:17:36 EDT 2001

Hi ModLib folks,

Gordon Neavill wrote:

> The pictorial jacket for Wilder's THE CABALA is a really nice one.  The ML
> edition of this book was published in May 1929 in a uniform typographic
> jacket with a spring 1929 list (includes Dostoyevsky, Brothers Karamazov but
> not Chaucer, Canterbury Tales).  The earliest of the "NB" pictorial jackets
> I've seen dates from fall 1931 (list of titles includes Balzac, Droll
> Stories but not Dreiser, Sister Carrie).  It's possible the pictorial jacket
> was introduced earlier or even simultaneously with the typographic jacket.

> Let me know
> the date of the list inside the pictorial jacket; if its earlier than fall
> 1931 I'll revise my bibliography entry .  I'm envious--I don't have THE
> CABALA in either jacket!

The DJ list includes Dostoyevsky, Brothers K. but not Chaucer, so
it must be a Spring 1929.  I guess this means that this title was 1st
issued with both typographical and pictorial jackets.  I am wondering
if this was some kind of experiment by ML to see if the pic. jackets
would aid sales?  Curious if any other ML titles had two different 1st
DJs?  Also wondering about the scarcity of this pictorial 1st DJ vs.
the typographic 1st DJ.

If any of you have the later pictorial DJ - let us know it has the same
DJ image as this 1st issue DJ (again - Scot put an image of the DJ
at www.dogeared.com)

> Just got back from a short research trip to New York, where I saw a 1928
> gift box Three Great Renaissance Romances in a crumbling but original
> slipcase.  The slipcase is covered in colored paper that echos the
> diamond-shaped pattern of the Keratol bindings.  Labels on the front and
> back panels of the slipcase are titled THREE GREAT RENAISSANCE ROMANCES and
> list all three volumes.  (The author of THE ROMANCE OF LEOARDO DA VINCI is
> misspelled "Merejkowsky" on the labels.)

If it is crumbling, that may explain why these boxes are so scarce -
shoddy materials!

I recently found a Keratol covered copy of the Romance of Leonardo -
no DJ unfortunately.  That Keratol stuff is really peculiar!

John K.

--
j   b   k r y g i e r

g e o l o g y   a n d  g e o g r a p h y
d e l a w a r e   o h   4 3 0 1 5

pho  740 368 3622  |  fax  740 368 3999

jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu  |  http://www.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/