1928/29 Pictorial DJs

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Fri Jun 8 12:44:17 EDT 2001

The pictorial jacket for Wilder's THE CABALA is a really nice one.  The ML
edition of this book was published in May 1929 in a uniform typographic
jacket with a spring 1929 list (includes Dostoyevsky, Brothers Karamazov but
not Chaucer, Canterbury Tales).  The earliest of the "NB" pictorial jackets
I've seen dates from fall 1931 (list of titles includes Balzac, Droll
Stories but not Dreiser, Sister Carrie).  It's possible the pictorial jacket
was introduced earlier or even simultaneously with the typographic jacket.
Fall 1929 lists inside the dj's include Chaucer, Canterbury Tales but not
Hemingway, Sun Also Rises; spring 1930 lists include Hemingway but not
Goethe, Faust; fall 1930 lists include Goethe but not Conrad, Lord Jim;
spring 1931 lists include Conrad but not Balzac, Droll stories.  Let me know
the date of the list inside the pictorial jacket; if its earlier than fall
1931 I'll revise my bibliography entry .  I'm envious--I don't have THE
CABALA in either jacket!

Just got back from a short research trip to New York, where I saw a 1928
gift box Three Great Renaissance Romances in a crumbling but original
slipcase.  The slipcase is covered in colored paper that echos the
diamond-shaped pattern of the Keratol bindings.  Labels on the front and
back panels of the slipcase are titled THREE GREAT RENAISSANCE ROMANCES and
list all three volumes.  (The author of THE ROMANCE OF LEOARDO DA VINCI is
misspelled "Merejkowsky" on the labels.)