ML format and original publisher's plates

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Mon Jul 9 17:09:07 EDT 2001

The slightly larger than normal ML's during the balloon cloth era were
published in this format so they could  be printed from original publisher's
plates.  The ML tried to use other publisher's plates (especially for
copyrighted works) whenever possible to avoid incurring typesetting and
platemaking costs themselves.  They generally did their own typesetting for
public domain titles, but here the cost was offset by not having to pay
royalties.

The availability of suitable plates sometimes determined which titles were
chosen for inclusion in the ML.  In 1932 Cerf and Klopfer wanted to bring
out Faulkner's SOUND AND THE FURY or AS I LAY DYING in the series, but the
original publisher had printed directly from type without making plates.
Rather than incurring typesetting and platemaking costs they took SACTUARY
instead, for which plates were available.  (The original publisher regarded
SANCTUARY as more commercial than the earlier titles and had made plates to
allow for additional printings and reprint editions.)  Fourteen years later
they set type and made plates for THE SOUND AND THE FURY & AS I LAY
DYING--an investment that turned out to be a good one.