Early Blumenthal Bindings

John Krygier jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu
Mon Jul 9 13:55:12 EDT 2001

Gordon Neavill wrote:

> A few titles during the balloon cloth
> period were printed in a slightly larger format than usual in order to
> accommodate the original publisher's text plates; the Kent endpapers of
> these titles have a white border around the endpaper design.

> (Blank endpapers were also used for two spring 1939
> titles published in the larger format in balloon cloth bindings: Stone's
> Lust for Life and Dinesen's Seven Gothic Tales. It was the pleasing
> appearance of these volumes that caused the ML to go ahead and bring out all
> titles in the larger format.)

Ok - this is something I have been confused about: I know that the
Stone and Dinesen MLs were the size of the later Blumenthal bindings,
but still bound in balloon cloth.

But what about the MLs from this era that were about 1/4 inch taller
and wider than the typical balloon cloth MLs?  The 1st ed of Edmonds
"Rome Haul" is like this.

I also have a copy of Lewis's "Arrowmith" in this larger balloon cloth
format - not as big as the Stone or Dinesen but bigger than a typical
balloon cloth ML.

Were all balloon cloth eds. of Arrowsmith in this larger format?  It  does
look like the text would not have fit in the regular size balloon cloth
format.

Both the Edmonds and Lewis have ill-fitting endpapers (a white gap
around the edge) - the Edmonds says 257 titles on the DJ and the
Lewis 268.

Were these MLs sized between the Kent and Blumenthal bindings
due to printing plate issues?

Anyone have other titles in this larger balloon cloth format?

JK

--
j   b   k r y g i e r

a s s i t a n t  p r o f e s s o r  o f  g e o g r a p h y
g e o l o g y  a n d  g e o g r a p h y
d e l a w a r e  o h  4 3 0 1 5

pho  740 368 3622   |   fax  740 368 3999

jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu   |   http://www.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/