Early Blumenthal Bindings

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Fri Jul 6 12:06:42 EDT 2001

The Blumenthal binding was introduced in fall 1939.  Individually designed
title pages weren't introduced until spring 1940.  First printings of the
four fall 1939 titles (Six Plays of Clifford Odets, Steinbeck's In Dubious
Battle, Fielding's Joseph Andrews, and Fineman's Hear, Ye Sons) have title
pages within double rules.  The plates for the Kent endpapers were designed
for the smaller balloon cloth format.  A few titles during the balloon cloth
period were printed in a slightly larger format than usual in order to
accommodate the original publisher's text plates; the Kent endpapers of
these titles have a white border around the endpaper design.  The endpaper
design would have looked silly printed in the middle of a substantially
larger page than it was designed for.  So blank endpapers were used for all
of the fall 1939 titles. (Blank endpapers were also used for two spring 1939
titles published in the larger format in balloon cloth bindings: Stone's
Lust for Life and Dinesen's Seven Gothic Tales. It was the pleasing
appearance of these volumes that caused the ML to go ahead and bring out all
titles in the larger format.)  Larger plates for the Kent endpapers were
ready by the end of the year and  spring 1940 titles were the first to fully
implement the new design: Blumenthal binding, individually designed title
pages (many designed by Blumenthal), and larger Kent endpapers.  Three of
the fall 1939 titles got new title pages (and Kent endpapers) in their
second printings.  Hear, Ye Sons was a total failure in the series and was
never reprinted.  The text plates of Joseph Andrews weren't reset but were
positioned better on the pages in later printings.

The larger format was so well received that the ML decided to convert the
entire series as expediciously as possible.  They could have put existing
titles into the new format as they were reprinted, but that would have taken
a period of years.  Instead, they offered to take back existing balloon
cloth volumes from booksellers.  These were eventually sold off at remainder
prices at Macy's--accounting for some of the more spectacular ML prices ever
seen.  I think the entire series was available in the new format by the end
of 1941 or so, but I'd have to check my notes to confirm that.