Valid to use ML back-of-book catalogs as a way of dating books?

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Fri Jul 6 11:38:13 EDT 2001

Folks,

I've been using the catalogs that appear in the back of many ML books to
tell the date of printing of that particular book. I compare what's in
the catalog to what ISN'T in the catalog to find the most recent title in
the series at the time the book was bound; then I find the date of first
printing of that most-recent-title and assume that the book I have in my
hand was printed in that same season.

My question is: is this a valid method of dating a book's printing? To be
valid, the catalog pages would have to be up to date when they were
printed, and that they were bound into books right away (as opposed to
laying around in the bindary waiting for books to stick them into).

     `\|||/                     Scot Kamins
      (@@)