Dates on MLs

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Fri Jul 6 11:32:04 EDT 2001

No special reason.  Copyright dates are supposed to be printed on
copyrighted books and usually appear on the verso of the title page.
Sometimes the copyright date refers to the original American publisher's
copyright, sometimes to introductions or other matter original to the ML
edition.  Until recently most publishers (with a few exceptions) didn't
bother to date each printing.  I guess they figured book buyers weren't
interested in such information.  They obviously didn't foresee the rise of
ML collecting.