Dates on MLs

John Krygier jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu
Thu Jul 5 10:02:15 EDT 2001

Hi ModLib folks,

A question for the ML experts: Was there any particular reason
that ML did not indicate dates of reprint in ML editions?

A bookseller asked me this question - she noted MLs with late
1800s dates on them that were obviously printed in the 1960s
as an example (maybe a Hardy title).  This is also a problem on
eBay were sellers assume the date on the ML is the date of printing
('in great shape for a book printed in 1897!).

I am assuming if there were dates on MLs they were there because
of copyright.

But why not include a date of reprinting (like Everyman's Library)?

JK

--
j   b   k r y g i e r

a s s i t a n t  p r o f e s s o r  o f  g e o g r a p h y
g e o l o g y  a n d  g e o g r a p h y
d e l a w a r e  o h  4 3 0 1 5

pho  740 368 3622   |   fax  740 368 3999

jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu   |   http://www.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/