Recommendations for an inexpensive digital camera for book shots?

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Thu Dec 20 21:05:12 EST 2001

Folks,

I often want to take pictures of the inside of books or the inverse of
dust jackets to put on Dogeared. But I don't want to subject the book
to the potential harsh environment of a scanner (crushing top, need to
flatten thiings, and so on).

I figure that an inexpensive digital camera (dough is VERY short at the
moment) with a USB interface is the answer.  Beyond that, the only
ferature I know that I need is something that will take a clear enough
picture of a page so that the text is readable. But I know so little
about cameras/optics that I only just found out that the close-up feature
is called a macro!

I'd search this out on the Web, but my knowledge of the area is so
nonexistent that I don't know where to begin (beyond posting this plea to
the rec.collecting.books newsgroup and to here).

Tips? Recommendations? Help?

Maintaining the Modern Library Collecting Website at
http://www.dogeared.com
which (in turn) is supported by The Pavilion City Mall at
http://www.pavilioncity.com