FA: and ADVERTISING ON MODLIB

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Wed Dec 12 23:02:39 EST 2001

In a recent e-mail, dmenkin119 at aol.com said (in part):

>I think the idea of listing MLBs wanted to buy or trade or for sale, should
>be looked upon as an oportunity to help fellow collectors find books they
>want for their collections and not as a way to unload your excess
>inventory.
>To keep it under control, let's put a limit of items one person can list. I
>am in favor of a trial period!

I like the idea of adding "Want To Buy" (WTB:) and "Want To Trade" (WTT:)
to the trial period I suggested in an earlier e-mail in this thread. In
keeping with the spirit of that e-mail I suggest the following:

1) Begin messages with "WTT:" or "WTB:" (without the quotation marks) for
respectively Want To Trade and Want To Buy.

2) Such messages should be limited to six titles (an arbitrary number to
be sure).

3) Each listing should include a complete description using details
rather than just "VG/VG" ratings. (See any listing on eBay by Sam,
Sharon, or Amy for excellent examples of how to describe a book and its
jackets.)

4) All items should be able to be returned.

I also suggest that items (3) and (4) be added to the specs I listed in
the earlier e-mail regarding "For Sale" items, and (4) be added to the
specs for "For Auction" items. (For Auction items need not be described
in detail, since a complete description presumedly would be offered at
the auction site.)

I have no opinion on limiting the number of FS: or FA: items, since I've
already suggested that only SCARCE items be listed. I would hope that
this would in itself discourage the idea of inventory-dumping, since
scarce items by their very nature should be highly sought after. (And how
did that pesky preposition end up at the end of that last phase?)

Maintaining the Modern Library Collecting Website at
http://www.dogeared.com
which (in turn) is supported by The Pavilion City Mall at
http://www.pavilioncity.com