ADVERTISING ON MODLIB

Sharon Biederman sbiederm at nova.umuc.edu
Wed Dec 12 13:42:21 EST 2001

Scot and John,

   Generally I would prefer to see discussion about the Modern
Library series rather than commercial activity on this list.  There are
many other venues to sell books.  However, calling attention to an item
already for sale on ebay or elsewhere seems reasonable and well
within the list guidelines.  If comment and criticism (such as questioning
whether an item is really a first) of ongoing ebay items is already
allowed, it should certainly be permissable for the seller to
provide extra description or explanation of his/her own items.

    On the other hand, I'm not comfortable with selling directly to
the ModLib list.  Many of us know one another pretty well and, as
Sam has pointed out, we may also have a sense of who needs what.
It is clear that some collectors spend many hours a day on the computer
and the same person(s) would be likely to always see an item first.  Those
who check once a day or every few days would be disadvantaged.  Similarly,
if I list a B&L in jacket at 7:00 am my time, there is virtually no
chance that it will still be available by the time Scot wakes up on the
West Coast.  My assumption is that dealers who wish to sell privately
are already doing so; whereas those who wish to offer an item for auction
or with a fixed-price listing are already doing that too.  I do not
see where this forum would generate exclusive listings.

    One function the list could serve is to provide an opportunity for
collectors to mention unusual wants such as buckram editions or ML
ephemera.  If I come across a first in dust jacket of Little Women, I
certainly know what to do with it, but I have no idea how to market my ML
bookcase or who would want one.

                           Sharon