ADVERTISING ON MODLIB

SGottlieb at aol.com SGottlieb at aol.com
Wed Dec 12 12:32:16 EST 2001

In a message dated 12/11/2001 8:49:40 PM, jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu writes:

<<
When Scot and I started ModLib we hoped to avoid having
the list turn into a site primarily used for
advertising books for sale.  My concern was mainly to
avoid too much advertising on a University sponsored
Listserv.  Scot, who has more experience with these
lists, felt that the list could become swamped with
books for sale postings.  One more objection: if ModLib
generates more messages due to 'books for sale'
postings, some list members may get annoyed. I am
working on making a daily digest available (you could
get one list email a day with all the days postings)
which would probably solve this problem.  There are
plenty of places to sell MLs, so ModLib shouldn't
get taken over by such postings.

On the other hand: I would certainly like to see what
people have for sale or trade, particularly less common
MLs and ones that are not listed on eBay or ABEBooks
or other easy to search sources.  I think the university
might be concerned if ModLib became a listserv jammed
with postings from book sellers, but I don't really think
we would get that much advertising (lets hope Alibris
doesn't find us).

As Scot noted, the list is supposed to be what the
people subscribed want it to be.

I propose that you all continue to post concerns or
opinions to the list (or to me) regarding this issue.
I assume most people would be in favor of postings
about 'books for sale,' or 'books wanted,' or 'books
for trade.' within limits.

So, I also propose that the people interested in
selling or trading books cobble together some basic
rules (like those suggested by Dave Menkin) which we
can add to the listserv info at Scot's WWW site.

Indeed, those of you with books for sale may want to
do a test 'ML for sale' posting to the list, and we can all
see what you think  is an appropriate 'ML for sale' posting.

How does that sound?

John K. >>