ADVERTISING ON MODLIB

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Tue Dec 11 19:10:53 EST 2001

In a recent e-mail, SGottlieb at aol.com wrote (in part):

>> SCOT,
>> I'm sure you told me that advertising Modern Library Books for sale or
wanted
>> on this list is prohibidad.

Actually, I don't remember saying that (although I may have). The info at
dogeared says this:

"What's out-of-bounds?
<snip>

"Posting an advertisement for your own For Auction (eBay) items since
that information is easy to obtain by searching Modern Library online --
but you can discuss how high an existing item may go, or whether the
description seems accurate.

"Posting For Sale ads except:
Pre-1939 jacketed first editions or scarce jacketed later editions such
as Maltese Falcon
Illustrateds in mylar or boxes
Scarce post-1939 jacketed editions such as Little Women or binding
scarcities

"These topics and restrictions will grow and change depending on the
wishes of the membership."

In a follow-up e-mail, chally at flash.net said (in part):

>  This comes up
>now and again and I never hear an adequate response to it.

Actually, I don't think it's come up at all - if it has, it was just
once. MAybe you're confusing this list with one of the newsgroups such as
rec.collecting.books.

>It seems
>many of the members (Good people all!) seem to have an egalitarian
>streak which leads them to think such notices are shabby.

I don't know wher you get that idea. The reason we set up thse rules
("we" being Jon Krygier and I) was that mailing lists tend to get
over-run with for sale notices, and keeping "for sale" material to the
scarcer stuff seems the wat to go. Common stuff is easy enough to find
anywhere.

As to eBay stuff, as we wrote on the info page at dogeared, people who
use eBay can easily find ALL ML material that's up for auction by
searching "Modern Library" amd checking the box that says to check
content as well as title.

But as it says on the Info page at dogeared: "These topics and
restrictions will grow and change depending on the wishes of the
membership."

Maintaining the Modern Library Collecting Website at
http://www.dogeared.com
which (in turn) is supported by The Pavilion City Mall at
http://www.pavilioncity.com