Inscribed (by author) African Queen

Frank Curran quillbks at kynd.net
Tue Dec 4 14:12:41 EST 2001

The recent lively discussions on this list relative to rarities/scarcities caused me to wonder about a ML first I have had for a number of years.  The 1940 "African Queen" (102.3) by C.S. Forester in (#247) d.j.contained not only a new introduction by the author, but restored the text of the truncated (and poorly edited) version of the American first ed., published by Little, Brown.  From 1940, and for about five years afterward, Forester spent a great deal of time in the U.S., most of it apparently in Calif., involved w/film studio work.  I wonder if Henry, and/or some of the west coast list members might be able to comment on the number of signed copies of "The Queen".  My copy only has his signature (undated). Any comments, anyone?

Frank E. Curran
Quill & Stylus
Antiquarian Books and Phonograph Records