"Best Russian Short Stories" Variants

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Fri Apr 20 18:25:59 EDT 2001

In a recent e-mail, jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu said (in part):

>I was looking through my binding 8 copy (DJ lists
>274 titles, so 1941) when I noticed that the book
>goes to page 261, then the pagination starts over
>at 1 with Andreyev's "The Seven That Were Hanged"
>and "The Red Laugh."  After this comes a final
>story, Bunin's "The Gentleman From San Francisco."

<ship>

>Further, does any one have a later hardcover
>edition of "Best Russian Short Stories" where the
>pagination does not start over with Andreyev's
>story?  If the pagination was fixed, I am curious
>what year that was.

My Blumenthal with DJ 372 (1955 or so) is paginated continuously through
page 556. "The Seven That Were Hanged" starts on page 347, quite a bit
further alongthan yours.

How many stories are in yours? This edition has a total of  22 stories
(plus the intro).

     `\|||/                     Scot Kamins
      (@@)