Zuleika Dobson and errata slips

Amy dbapaper at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 17 00:49:26 EDT 2001

Regarding errata,

    My first of Maria Chapdelain is identical to Scot's, with the erratum
slip tipped in at p. 288.
    Another ML with an erratum is the 1967 First ML Edition of The Quiet
American by Graham Greene. Apparently, the copyright notice did not identify
the original publisher, who must have demanded the correction. It reads:
"First Published in England by William Heinemann, Ltd./ Distributed in
Canada by Random House of Canada Limited, Toronto." I've seen the slip
twice, both times on yellow paper laid in at the Copyright Page.
    Getting back to Zuleika Dobson, neither of my copies have the slip. I
assume it's possible that it was released this way and then, after Mr.
Hackett protested, with the erratum tipped in. Does anyone know if the
copies with erratum tipped in are first or second state?

Amy Comeau