ML as a 'canon'?

Sharon Biederman sbiederm at nova.umuc.edu
Thu Apr 12 16:16:51 EDT 2001

John,

     While agreeing that "canon" may not be the best word to describe the
ML series, I believe that given all the publishing contraints you
mentioned, the Modern Library did a creditable job of including an
excellent assortment of fiction and nonfiction works in their series.
Yes, there were some "losers," particularly in the B&L era, but overall
the quality is remarkable.  For someone who enjoys classics, both
ancient and modern, ML provides a treasure trove.  Taking into
account that they had to publish books that would sell, the publishing
choices were generally sound.

    I have to disagree with your inclusion of Fabre's Life of the
Caterpillar among the "peculiar" titles.  It is an superb example of
its genre and a good read.  My personal nomination for the most heavily
overrepresented lesser author is Gabrielle D'Annunzio.  I read Flame of
Life last year and was baffled by the author's popularity.  Tastes change,
I guess.

   As for the "dead white guys" comment, gender/ethnicity issues
contributed to the controversy surrounding the recent ML list of 100 best
fiction titles.  But I'm not sure it's a meaningful way to judge
19th and early 20th century literature.  The Three Musketeers has been
considered one of the best adventure novels for more than 150 years.
During most of that time readers did not know the author was of African
descent. Is the book better or worse now that we do?  Neither. It's the
same great swashbuckler. Similarly, Anna Karenina, written by a man, is
among the greatest of "woman's" stories.  Last year, I heard a lecture by
William Styron in which he described criticism he received for writing
Confessions of Nat Turner because he is not black and Sophie's Choice
because he is not Jewish or a concentration camp survivor.  I think both
books are masterpieces.

     Having recently reread a large portion of An Anthology of
American Negro Literature, I was amazed at how astute the selections were.
Most of the same names and excerpts appear in today's college courses in
African-American literature.  Yet the ML choices were made in 1929
when many of the authors were very young men and women!  Some of the ML
"regulars" whose names are associated with a number of titles --Calverton,
Van Vechten,etc." did an amazing job.

                            Sharon