Of College Editions & Paperbacks

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sat Apr 7 15:32:52 EDT 2001

 In Pete's recent e-mail  he said (in part):

>There is a vast difference between the value of a first of Gone with
>the Wind and other classics in the correct DJ than a later DJ. Why should ML
>collecting be any different?
Because ML was sloppy in the way it handled bindings and dust jackets,
and other publishers weren't. If we had an authoritative fully-researched
and verified set of truths first-hand from the original ML documents and
records, it would be different. But the record is faulty at best. So all
we can do is make up some rules and play by them - knowing that it may or
may NOT be The Truth.

The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in
their possession any swords, bows, spears, firearms or other types of
arms. The possession of these elements makes difficult the collection of
taxes and dues, and tends to permit uprising.

                       Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Shogun of Japan, August 29,
1558