Of College Editions & Paperbacks

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sat Apr 7 15:30:11 EDT 2001

 In your recent e-mail  you said (in part):

>Question: If you see ten copies for a first (on copyright page) with a
>particular dj # and one or two with a lower number, are these lower numbers
>freaks, i.e. curios and not the genuine first dj. Take Boswell's Johnson,
>for
>instance, (Regular ML): the last five or six first editions (on copyright
>page), I have seen,  have had #362. The Guide states #360. Is the #360 a
>curiosity.....In order to allow for this I have not been too rigid in the
>guide for first dj numbers, allowing  a margin of error of two or three
>numbers. Any opinions out there?

I want the lowest numbered one. Is that because I'm covinced that the
lowest numbered one  is the "true first"?  Certainly not. It's just
because!  This is a hobby, and as such we all get to make the rules. So
my rule is "earliest number wins."

The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in
their possession any swords, bows, spears, firearms or other types of
arms. The possession of these elements makes difficult the collection of
taxes and dues, and tends to permit uprising.

                       Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Shogun of Japan, August 29,
1558