Jacketless ML's [was:Re: Of College Editions & Paperbacks]

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Fri Apr 6 18:19:29 EDT 2001

 In your recent e-mail  you said (in part):

>Please advise-  Are Modern Library editions worth collecting if they don't
>have DJ?

Depends on why you collect.
If you collect for the joy of it, define your own criterea. ML certainly
provides a plethora of opportunities for that! See my article "Collecting
the Modern Library at ABE for an introduction to the subject:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/abe/TextToHtml?t=feature+story&h=x&f=cc/feature
s/modernlibrary.htm

If you're collecting and think you may want to resell your collection
later and recoup what you spent, concentrate on the best jacketed copies
you can find. These need not be firsts; just excellent examples of
whatever you choose.

If you're collecting for investment purposes (a pretty bad idea, by the
way), then you ought to restrict yourself to only jacketed first editions
in better than VG condition. There may be some appreciation in
Boni-Liveright ML jacketless first edtions in Fine condition, but I
wouldn't count on it.

Of course, buckrams had no jackets and there's a pretty good resale
market in them. And copies of the illustrated Cervantes/Dali sell well
even without an acetate.

Scot Kamins
Collecting The Modern Library 1917-1970
(because fanaticism is not limited to politics, religion, or economics)
Want list at http://www.dogeared.com/wtb.html