On faded, darkened, stained DJ spines

BooksetcSF at aol.com BooksetcSF at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 16:31:01 EDT 2001

In a message dated 4/5/01 12:37:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
kamins at dogeared.com writes:

> I notice different degrees of deterioration starting on older (pre-1955
> or so) dust jacket spines and am curious as to the cause. Sometimes the
> colors are faded, which I take to be the effects of sunlight.
>
> But at other times the spine is darkened, and the darkening goes clear
> through to the inverse. At first I took this to be the effects of tobacco
> smoke, but often there's no tobaccoy smell.
>
> At other times I see darkening along with what appears to be
> damp-staining, but there's no corresponding color running on the boards
> leading me to believe the book hasn't been wet.
>
> What causes these various forms of deterioration, and can anything be
> done about it?

I can't help you. All my Balloon cloth and BL djs are pristine!!!
       Henry for Books etc
       P.S. Don't forget sales tax if to be shipped within CA. Or email CA
resale #.

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/booksetcsf/myhomepage/business.html ">Books etc</A>
PMB # 395,
298 4th Avenue,