On faded, darkened, stained DJ spines

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Thu Apr 5 15:35:32 EDT 2001

Folks,

I notice different degrees of deterioration starting on older (pre-1955
or so) dust jacket spines and am curious as to the cause. Sometimes the
colors are faded, which I take to be the effects of sunlight.

But at other times the spine is darkened, and the darkening goes clear
through to the inverse. At first I took this to be the effects of tobacco
smoke, but often there's no tobaccoy smell.

At other times I see darkening along with what appears to be
damp-staining, but there's no corresponding color running on the boards
leading me to believe the book hasn't been wet.

What causes these various forms of deterioration, and can anything be
done about it?

Thanks,

Sco

+1 (503) 731-5899
Obscurities clarified
Computer books, manuals, and on-line help systems designed and written
Resume at http://www.dogeared.com/teachingResume.html