Auden question

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Mon Apr 2 14:25:20 EDT 2001

 In your recent e-mail Bob Riedel said (in part):

>I have a copy of the ML Selected Poetry of W.H. Auden -- the 1970 second
>edition, revised by the author to include poems from the 1960s. Was there
>some sort of "first ML printing thus" indication on the first printing of
>this edition? Or is it impossible to tell which printing it is (mine just
>has
>generic copyright information)?
>
>Thanks

And Pete responded with

>The first Modern Library edition(1959) of the Auden work
>states that on the copyright page. The correct DJ lists
>385 titles on the inside.

Just to clarify, there were two distinct editions. The second edtion,
which bears a separate Toledano catalog number, was published only for
the one year (1970). You'll be glad to know that a REAL ML completest
MUST have both editions.  :-D

- Scot

Scot Kamins
Collecting The Modern Library 1917-1970
(because fanaticism is not limited to politics, religion, or economics)
Want list at http://www.dogeared.com/wtb.html